The Anson Allen Stevens Family

By Mrs. T. D. Stevens

Anson Allen Stevens, son of Anson Allen Stevens and Louiesa Boatright, lived in Choctaw County, Alabama, when he married Alafair Gibbens of Wayne County, Mississippi, on February 3, 1871. She was the daughter of Thomas Tilman Gibbens and Amanda Moody. A. A. Stevens was born July 1, 1854, and Alafair Gibbens was born October 23, 1857.

The Stevens moved to Jacksonville in 1906, after spending a number of years in Texas, Florida and Washington State.

The Stevens lived in what was known as the "People's House," on Canada Street and the Strother Place on old Dialville Road before building their house in old Jacksonville. This home was located about 300 feet southwest of the Historical Marker designating the town center. It was a two-story frame structure with porches on three sides. After the children were grown and married, Mr. and Mrs. Stevens moved to the house that still stands on the southeast corner of College Avenue and Devereux streets.

Four of the Stevens' children attended Alexander Collegiate Institute. They were Eldridge, Thomas Anson, Alafair and Henry Grady.

The Stevens were members of the First Methodist Church when it was housed in a white frame building on the site of the present church. In 1908, the Methodist congregation was first to build a church building of brick and stone in Jacksonville.

Hattie Stevens married Arthur Baker of Rome, Georgia. Most of their married life was spent in Jacksonville. Their children are Dr. Horace Baker of Wills Point and Lucyle (Mrs. Ralph Kesler). She taught homemaking in Jacksonville High School for a number of years, and her husband, co-founder of S-K Furniture Company, is a building contractor. They are members of the Presbyterian Church, and with volunteer help, Mr. Kesler razed the former sanctuary and built the present beautiful building.

Eldridge Gibbens Stevens married Hilda Jennings and they lived in Mineola. Their children are Eldridge Gibbens Stevens, Jr., and Ruth Ellen (Mrs. Nathaniel P. Huggins). Mr. and Mrs. Huggins taught in Jacksonville High School.

Dora Lee Stevens married Rabon Scoggins and resides here with her daughter, Dessie Irene (Mrs. E. M. Bolton). Other children of Mr. and Mrs. Scoggins are Alafair Elizabeth (Mrs. R. E. Alexander), Howard Will of Texas City, Roy Anson who married Girtie Keyton of Jacksonville, Rabon Olen of Houston, and Homer Curtis of Silsbee.

Louiesa Amanda Stevens married Dr. John Mastin Travis, a pioneer doctor, and co-founder of Travis Clinic and Nan Travis Memorial Hospital. Three of their children reside in Jacksonville. Dr. Lewie L. Travis married Virginia Lefler of Beaumont. He is a surgeon and active lay leader in the Presbyterian Church. Nola married Rinfred R. Childs, and Janice (Mrs. Arvada Scogin), lived in Wink for several years. Two other children are Maxine (Mrs. John Helton) of San Antonio, whose husband is a dentist, and Dr. John Mastin Travis of Beaumont, who married Elsie Mae Baum-berger of Jacksonville.

Dr. Thomas Anson Stevens attended Southwestern University and Baylor University College of Dentistry in Dallas. He returned to Jacksonville to practice dentistry and married Dean Elizabeth Hamilton of Palestine. Dr. Stevens became a 50-year Mason in 1969, and is a charter member of both the Kiwanis Club and St. John's Methodist Church. Their sons are Thomas Dean Stevens, vice-president of the Men's Wear Division of Beall Brothers Department Stores, who married Ruby Lee Beall of Jacksonville and Morris Hamilton Stevens of Little Rock, Arkansas.

Alafair Stevens graduated from The University of Texas and taught Latin and Spanish in Jacksonville High School. She married Leroy Carrington Jennings. They made their home in Mineola. Leroy Carrington Jennings, Jr., of Baytown, is their son.

Henry Grady Stevens married Ha Martin. They lived in Jacksonville. Their children are Frances (Mrs. Dan Dodds) of Berwick, La., and Henry Grady Stevens, Jr., of Denton. Mr. Stevens, employed by the T. & N. O. Railroad, was killed in a railroad accident while a young man.

Members of the Stevens family in an early pose.

Stevens family home built in old Jacksonville after the town had moved. It was located about 300 feet southwest of the Historical Marker designating the town center.